Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reflections for 7/9/10

"There is a great Tradition that we must listen to and Scriptures that need to study. Without good theological teaching, faith becomes passing on feel-good idea. Intellect is not to be rejected."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 243)

In spite of my silly side, I actually do like to think. I majored in history so I have a healthy respect for the past. I do not believe the past is to be the end of the discussion, but needs to be included in any dialogue, religious or otherwise. You cannot know where you are going, if you don't know where you've been.

I also love to read and wrestle with Scripture. I don't have a whole lot of time for folks who just read and memorize it and then hurl it back as a weapon of mass destruction. But instead enjoy finding the continuing applications to my time and experience. It is excellent to know what scripture says, it is even deeper to know the why and to find the underlying spirit that permeates throughout it.

I hope I don't pass on a faith that's nothing more than a warm fuzzy kumbaya moment. But one where people are encouraged to use that God given resource between their ears. Never in isolation from Tradition and Scripture, but in an ongoing symphony of thought, word and deed.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment