Saturday, July 31, 2010

Reflections for 7/31/10

"Most people I've known in my lifetime react, they do not act. They spend their whole life reacting to circumstances and always consider themselves the victim of circumstances. Seldom do you see anybody choosing: This is what I want my life to be, and this is the ten-year plan to where the family is going."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 264-265)

I used to be a planner, a list maker. At some point I lost that. I began to just float down the river of life and enjoy the scenery. Paddle a little harder when the rapids came. But for the most part, just seeing where the river went. I wait for other churches to find and indicate a desire to talk to me. It's a long wait. Not that I'm complaining because I'm in a good place. Even in that good place, I've avoided indicating goals oriented living.

The problem is that I really should have a vision for what life looks like down the road. What do I really want to be and do. Once that answer comes, then I need to see how it fits with what God wants for Ed. When the two are in sync life really is enjoyable and fulfilling.

Eventually I will need to take bigger steps towards picturing life post the current situation. When does that journey begin? Whenever I choose to stop waiting for something to react to.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment