Monday, August 11, 2014

Reflection for August 11, 2014

"Then Jesus ordered them to tell no one; but the more he ordered them, the more zealously they proclaimed it."(Mark 7:38)

Have you ever done something nice for someone, but asked them not to tell anyone?  I wonder why we do that?  I suppose part of it is fear that if word gets out that we do things for others or are generous the flood gates will open and everyone will want our help.  Of course another part may be that we just want our good deed to be what it is and not a way of promoting ourselves.

Whenever Jesus heals someone he seems to always say don't tell anyone.  And what is really funny is how nobody ever listens to him when he asks that.  I suppose if I had been healed of something I'd have a hard time containing myself as well.  Even if I'd been asked not to.

We talk all the time about obeying God, and yet from time to time the Bible shows humanity not listening.  Perhaps there are times when to not listen has negative consequences.  And then there are times when not following orders, may be exactly what we are supposed to do.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment