Saturday, August 9, 2014

Reflection for August 9, 2014

"And he said to them, how many loaves do you have? Go and see. When they had found out, they said Five , and two fish."(Mark 6:38)

One of my favorite books growing up was "Stone Soup."  It tells the story of 3 hungry soldiers for who at first were told there was no food for them, and eventually created a soup, but started with just water and stones.

I think of that story because when I hear the feeding of the crowds by Jesus, I am reminded of the way we can sometimes convince ourselves that we don't have enough or that what little we have can never make a difference.

In Stone Soup the soldiers just kept talking and drawing out the very things they needed to actually make a great meal.  The resources where there, they were just being hidden.

In the Gospel, we find that disciples believe they have very little to offer.  Luckily Jesus takes it blesses it and then sends it back out, and they find they have more than enough.

I try to remind myself that even if I don't think I have much to offer, when I give what I have to God, ask it to be blessed, amazing things occur.

I will probably never be well ahead of the game materially.  But I might find that I'm blessed with what I need and then some.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment