Friday, August 8, 2014

Reflection for August 8, 2014

"It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil, for he gives sleep to his beloved."(Psalm 127:2)

About a year ago I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Since that time I have had the benefit of a CPAP machine.  I can honestly say that I sleep better.  Not longer and not straight through but better and deeper for sure.

I've always been a morning person but for awhile now my inner alarm clock keeps getting me up sometime between 5 and 6 am.  I suppose that's early.  And my usual routine after getting up is to head to the gym. Another thing I've noticed is that I don't stay up as late as I used to.

An inability to fall asleep was often tied into feelings of stress and worry, anxious toil if you will.  And often I would have to try to shut that down by just practicing a breathing technique that I learned from Richard Rohr.  As you breath in you say Yah, as you exhale you say weh.  I suppose it is like counting sheep, but I prefer to invite God to give me that gift of sleep since I am one of God's beloved.

Sleep is a gift.  Lord knows our bodies need it.  We function better with it.  I'm not much of a napper, but I do know when to hit the hay.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment