Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Reflection for August 12, 2014

"Do you have eyes and fail to see? Do you have ears and fail to hear? And do you not remember?"(Mark 8:18)

When I was a student, I rarely failed.  That's not to say that I didn't fail a test every now and then.  Most of the time it came from not remembering. It may also be that I didn't pay as full attention to what was being taught as I could have.

There are times when we fail to see, either because we are not looking in the right place, or we have shut our eyes literally or figuratively to what is going on around us.  Therefore failing to see what is going on and knowing how to respond.

There are times when we fail to hear.  Perhaps we are distracted by other things.  Or perhaps we just don't want to hear what is being said, too painful.

And there are times that we don't remember.  We have either blocked out the memory for obvious reasons, or it is so distant or was so fleeting a thought that it just didn't stick.

I have seen many wonderful things in my life.  I have heard many wonderful songs and stories.  And I remember a lot of stuff.  I'm sometimes surprised when those memories come to the surface.

There are still things I hope to see either for the first time or again. There are things I long to hear either again or for the first time.  And I hope that with each encounter I remember, cherish and learn from it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment