Friday, August 15, 2014

Reflection for August 15, 2014

"You have sown much, and harvested little; you eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill; you clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; and you that earn wages earn wage to put them into a bag with holes."(Haggai 1:6)

Do you ever feel like you work very hard, but can't seem to get ahead?  That in spite of having a job extra money rarely seems to be around.  Almost like as soon as you get paid that check is already spent, between bills and groceries, gone just like that.  That too me is what it feels like to earn wages to put them into a bag with holes.  I hope there comes a time when I don't have that feeling, but it won't be anytime soon.

There is also a sense of not having enough of never feeling satisfied.  I don't have that feeling too often, especially not with food or beverages and I have enough clothes that I should donate some.

Haggai talks about this in the context of neglecting God's house and that is why things aren't going well.  I wonder if it is true that when we neglect to tend to our relationship with God, that a lot of other things never seem to feel complete.  That doesn't mean that if our relationship with God is good that we will suddenly have more than we need.  But we may be better equipped to make the most of what we have.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment