Saturday, August 2, 2014

Reflection for August 2, 2014

"He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God."(Micah 6:8)

In our lives there are always requirements.  To advance in school their are certain academic requirements that must be met.  As an Boy Scout there were requirements I had to meet in order to attain the rank of Eagle, which I did.  On our jobs there are things we are required to do.

We also like to hear "good job."  But what exactly makes something good.  I think the passage points out that if something is just, kind and humble it probably is good. And we all want to do good.

But how?  Again the passage helps us by telling us what is required; three things to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with God.

So what does doing justice look like?  For me it is taking a stand with or for folks whom the world is treating poorly.  What does loving kindness look like?  For me it is approving in others actions that extend compassion to others, it is also enjoying doing the same.  What does it mean to walk humbly with my God?  For me it is to acknowledge that God is with me on this earthly pilgrimage.  And to not talk about how holy I am or how righteous.  But to acknowledge that I fall short but can still walk thanks to the mercy and grace of God.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment