Saturday, May 1, 2010

Reflections for 5/1/10

"In the patriarchal view (1) all relationships are eventually defined in terms of superiority and inferiority and (2) the all-important need for order and control is assured by the exercise of dominative power. Now that does not sound so bad if the status-quo happens to be working in your favor. But it has served to dehumanize and therefore de-spiritualize generations of races, nations, professions, women, sexual minorities, handicapped people, the weak and the elderly whom the powerful are able to culturally disparage and dismiss as of 'no account'."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 173)

One of the first things I remember having to do in seminary was state my social location. The mantra would start, I am a straight, white, young, male. At first I'll admit I was rather reticent to do this. Why should I get pigeonholed that way? Why should those things matter at all? And there were also times that I thought we're playing the who's more oppressed game here.

After a while though I began to appreciate how important it was to understand my social location is and how that plays a role in how the rest of the world treats me. How more often than not I have very few obstacles in my way. I can in fact be my own worst enemy.

The other part of this that ultimately became freeing was to be told rather than feel guilty about it, to be instead encouraged to use my social location to improve the quality of being for others. To act not from a patronizing superior place, but instead as an ally.

I still meet straight white males who think the world is out to get them. I just shake my head in disbelief. I may not get to control every aspect of the world by default anymore, and frankly I'm just as glad to share the responsibility or even better to let it go.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment