Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reflections for 5/16/10

"Our task is to look at things as they are, and in all their seasons: in their agony, in their ecstasy. That will be your best teacher. Creation itself is the primary revelation of God and truth." (R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.186)

At first I thought, I don't agree with this. Isn't scripture the primary revelation of God and truth? Isn't Jesus the primary revelation of God and truth? Of course it has been written of Christ that he is the first fruits of all creation. Before all of creation was the Word. Those are faith statements and I believe them.

When I meditate on the life of Jesus as revealed in scripture I definitely learn about God. I learn much of the interaction of God and humanity by reading the Bible. And then I think about the hymn How Great Thou art and am reminded how much of the beauty of the earth tells me about God. How each new discovery tells me about God. I find no threat to my faith in new discoveries. What I find is a deepening appreciation for the depths of God and how much more there is to know.

The difference really is that I don't see the trees as God, but an impression of God. I don't see humanity as God, but a revelation of the image.

While my grandfather wouldn't or couldn't articulate a concrete faith, he often said how as long as there were questions to be answered he believed there was something that went beyond science.

What a wondrous thing it would be if people of faith felt less threatened by science, and if science felt less threatened by faith.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment