Friday, May 14, 2010

Reflections for 5/14/10

"Love does not happen without self-knowledge, patience and discernment."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 184)

How do you know when you are truly in love? The word love gets thrown around a lot. Every teenage going out scenario always involves saying "I love you." Having gone down that path myself I know that the love I have for my wife, is very different than that awkward teenage love. I believe the real difference is that I know myself much better than I did 30 years ago. I certainly am more patient than I was then. Almost 20 years of marriage happens because of patience with each other. And discernment plays a part in knowing what makes my beloved tick, what her strengths are, what her growing edges are, and knowing how to love the whole.

The same is true for my love for God. I understand myself as a Christian much better than I did as a young person. I can love God, because I know God loves me. I can be patient with God, because God is infinitely more patient with me. And I still seek discern the will of God for my life. And always have my ears, heart, and mind open to discerning God's presence.

I don't know that my love in either case is perfect, but I do believe it grows stronger each and every day. Love takes work and commitment. But the rewards are incredible.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment