Saturday, May 8, 2010

Reflections for 5/8/10

"We are all too trapped in our own places by virtue of the egocentricity of the human person. In prayer the Spirit entices us outside of our narrow comfort zone. No wonder we avoid prayer: We have to change places."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace p. 179)

Prayer for me continues to be a growing edge. As an Episcopalian, the Book of Common Prayer roots me and keeps me from getting diarrhea of the mouth, but in some ways also inhibits prayer.

It is in those times of non-corporate prayer that their is still room for growth. Sitting in silence for a time, just listening is very hard for me. As an extrovert, enforced silent prayer pushes me way out of my comfort zone. And yet some of the great aha moments usually come when I focus on the listening more than the speaking.

Would I rather lead and be out front, sure, would be in the wrong profession if I didn't. But in order to have something worth saying there, I need to listen over here.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment