Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reflections for 5/5/10

"When we can acknowledge that no one owes us anything, that all of life is a gift, we move toward freedom. And in that freedom, the amazing thing is, we're able to enjoy our life, because we don't have to grasp it anymore. We don't have to prove or assert it anymore. We're finally allowed to sit back and to enjoy God's presence, and to enjoy our own, too. Now we can enjoy other people because we don't need them to meet our so-called needs."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 177)

Last night was an enjoyable night. The weather was perfect, cool, breathable air. I sat watching my son's baseball game and had no responsibility for the outcome. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy watching, cheer loudly and enjoy the friendly conversation of other adults doing the same thing.

Perhaps the freeing aspect was knowing I didn't owe anyone anything except to be there. And no one owed me anything.

It is hard sometimes to see life as a gift when you feel you're being deprived of something. Or when someone drops the ball or let's you down. Of course it is also hard to admit when we let ourselves down. And the more we focus on our shortcomings the less likely we want to be with ourselves or others.

So on what is another beautiful spring day in New Jersey, I think I'll try to enjoy life as much as possible. There will be days I'm sure when things aren't as great, so I need to enjoy them fully when they are.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment