Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reflections for 5/2/10

"Outside of those redeeming relationships that speak truth to us, that challenge us, that father us, that mother, brother, and sister us, we do not know who we are. How many people are living in that kind of enslavement? They don't know who they are or what they want."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.174)

One of the more interesting trends in faith these days is cyber-church. This new sort of community that has developed through the medium of the internet has certain merits I would think. It does allow faith and life to be explored. One of its shadow sides, at least for me, is that I don't actually have to be honest about who I am. The only responses to a person there would be what they type.

That's not to say that other groups automatically produce people who are being real, but it is harder to hide your true self from another physically present person.

I certainly have found in my life that the places of community-church, college, seminary, etc. have been places where I have been blessed to be with people who have helped to reflect with that question of who I am and what do I want, as well as the framework in which to even ask the question.

I also find it to be true that when those communities have real diversity, along every category one can think of, the picture of who I am becomes much clearer.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment