Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reflections for 5/30/10

"Boys, I don't think you're ready for this yet. Just stay back there. I don't think you're ready for what's happening. You're probably going to go on another thousand years trying to explain. "this means this" and "That means that" instead of quite simply diving into the abyss, where it doesn't make a lot of sense, where there aren't a lot of answers, where there's only mystery, journey and impassioned God. God oft-times doesn't give a lot of answers but just keeps telling us who we are. God just keeps inviting us into that place where love is alive and where God is in love." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 205)

Today is "Trinity Sunday", the day when some churches celebrate the doctrine of the Trinity. A doctrine that has been articulated but never in such a way that anyone ever truly gets it.

I for one will own the Trinity from a faith statement, and can creedaly state things about it. But until I just let myself be in relationship with God, I'll never fully appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that I've found all the answers to life's problems in the Trinity, but I have found a relationship within which to work through, and even endure some of them.

The invitation from God is not an intellectual assent, but a heart felt commitment the relationship.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment