Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reflections for 6/15/11

"If the idea of God as both Three and One seems far -fetched and obfuscating, look in the mirror someday. 
There is (a) the interior life known only to yourself and those you choose to communicate it to (the Father). there is  (b) the visible face which in some measure reflects that inner life (the Son). And there is (c) the invisible power you have in order to communicate that interior life in such a way that others do not merely know about it, but know it in the sense of its becoming part of who they are (the Holy Spirit). Yet what you are looking at in the mirror is clearly and indivisibly the one and only you."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 160)

Ah the doctrine of the Trinity. It will be preached about or avoided by many this coming Sunday.  Many have attempted to describe it.  St. Patrick said it was like a three leaf clover.  Others shrug their shoulders and say that its a mystery. And of course the belief system of the Christian Faith is engulfed in it.  If you read the Koran you'll find that Mohamed thought that the Doctrine embraced polytheism.

I've never seen the Trinity described in the way Buechner does, but it rings true for me.  Certainly when I look in the mirror, I do a lot of interior work.  What am I feeling inside, who is that man behind the mask really.  I can look at the face and once the narcissism subsides have a decent idea of what I look like.  And certainly there are ways that the exterior and the interior Ed interact with others that is also there. 

While I'm not certain that Buechner's description makes the Doctrine any clearer than an ancient creedal statement. It at least is an entrance point that I can relate to and can work out my own description and see if that makes any sense.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment