Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reflections for 6/21/11

"But it happened-this glimpse of something dimly seen, dimly heard, this sense of something deeply hidden."(F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 164)

On Sunday I drove my son Peter up to stay with my parents in Copake Falls NY.  I really do love it up there, not just because my parents are there , but because of the quiet and the beauty of the place.  I love just walking in the woods, and listening. No noise other than the birds, the babbling of the brook and the wind sometimes whipping through the trees.

I also know that my favorite time of day is the morning for much of the same reason, it is quiet, there is time to think, to meditate and just be still.

And it is in those moments of solitude, that I do occasionally catch a glimpse of something, hear a faint sound and begin to dive deeply into the meaning of life, my relationship with God, and my relationship to others.

I hope to retire to Copake Falls, though there are a lot of variables outside of my control. To walk the woods in my retirement, maybe with an old dog.  Then to remember and to continue to catch a glimpse, to hear the sound of silence, and to sense God's presence even more deeply than normal.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment