Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reflections for 6/29/11

"It is impossible for me to believe that the words even of scientific genius can say all there is to say about the origin of the universe as it is impossible for me to believe that the words even of Sophocles or Shakespeare can say all there is to say about human tragedy or the words even of Jesus Christ can say ll there is to say about
God and about our lives under God."(F Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 171)

"Is that your final answer?" The catch phrase of Regis Philbin on the show who wants to be a millionaire.  He of course is trying to make the contestant squirm, and to perhaps second guess themselves and create a little drama on what is mostly an easy multiple choice game. 

As is the case with any test, a final answer ultimately has to be given.  But there are things in life that aren't about final answers.  There are unfolding mysteries.  And as the saying goes, just when you think you have all the answers, we change the questions.

I even know as a parent that my answers aren't always final.  I try to at least start with a let me think about it.  Which does not bind me one way or the other right then and there.

But many academic disciplines look for final answers. Whether it be the hard sciences or the social sciences, each new discovery or though attempts to stake some claim to being the final answer and yet somewhere down the road some new discovery or insight, brings the next final answer.

I don't particularly like final answers. I find them to binding. I like to live in a world of incompleteness where there are still mysteries to solve, still thoughts to be thought, still relationships to be forged.  I hope I never lose such a curiosity.  I might be so crazy as to suggest that when I have all the answers, either God or I am dead.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment