Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Reflections for 6/28/11

"That, I suppose, is the final mystery as well as the final power of words: that not even across great distances of time and space do they ever lose their capacity for becoming incarnate. Adn when these words tell of virtue and nolity, when they move us closer to that truth and gentleness of spirit by which we become fully human, the readeing of them is sacramental."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 170-171)

Summer always seems to make people think about reading.  Perhaps its visions of more free time, though I'm not sure that is actually true for most people.  I know that if my vacations were sitting at the beach or lake front, I'd probably do more pleasure reading. I say this because I know at one time I was a voracious reader.

I haven't stopped reading, but will admit that the ratio of reading to tv watching is out of whack at the moment.  I also know that I'd weigh a lot less if I'd change that ratio. Very hard to read a book and stuff your face at the same time.

What I recall loving most about reading was discovering insights into myself.  Or perhaps putting me in the place of one of the characters.  One of my favorite childhood books was My Side of the Mountain and I do recall dreaming of being that person.  I identify very much with Gandolf from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Of course as a Christian, I find my self and my experiences of living in this world in the Bible.  That's why it still speaks to me, because I'm in there.  The good, the bad and the ugly of me. 

For something to be sacramental it is supposed to be an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace, and I can see how books can be that.  Certainly they are outward and visible signs and the the places we find connection to ourselves the inward part comes into focus.

I don't know if I'll read much on my vacation this year. Too much baseball and driving. But I might try very hard to get back into the habit of reading for the sheer joy of it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment