Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reflections for 6/7/11

"The Kingdom comes by looking for it. The Kingdom comes sometimes by not looking for it too hard. There's times the Kingdom comes by it looking for you." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 151)

Have you ever lost something and frantically looked for it?  I know I have.  I'll tear the place apart, my mind racing trying to remember where I last saw the object of my search.  I'll admit this frantic looking rarely is successful.  Usually I have to stop, breath, and think.  This is sometimes successful. And certainly a lot less stressful.  Rarely does the object find me.

This is also true of relationships.  If you go searching for a person to share your life with, you might find them, use every medium known to mankind.  There are times when relationships just happen, you weren't looking the person wasn't really looking and you meet.  And of course there are the times when you are the one sought out.

Jobs also work that way.  We can frantically search, send our resume to every opening under the sun.  Sometimes we slow the pace down and the right job appears.  And of course sometimes people actually get recruited.

God's kingdom works that way too.  I can go constantly looking for it.  Most likely my definition of what the kingdom is will get in my way.  When I'm not constantly looking for it and just doing, the kingdom gets encountered because I haven't tried to define it.  And then there's times when it just knocks on the door and screams here I am.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment