Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reflection for 8/30/11

"Unfortunately the only language people really understand is their own language, and unless preachers are prepared to translate the ancient verities into it, they might as well save their breath."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 230)

Now you're speaking my language, is a phrase which usually is meant to say, I like what you're saying, or I agree with you.  Occasionally it may also mean I understand what you're saying.  I know there are parts of life where English may in fact be spoken, but I am clueless as to what the person is trying to tell me.  Either the words are jargon laden and I'm not invested in what is being talked about or there are times when someone is trying to sound impressive but may in fact be covering up for the fact that they really have nothing to say.

Sometimes when I'm with brother and sister clergy, I wonder if I"m just the dumbest guy at the table. They use words that I'm sure at one time, probably seminary, I knew the meaning of, but I just don't care anymore.  I know I should but I don't.

I hope that for the most part, I convey my thoughts clearly, precisely and in a way that doesn't leave people wondering what I just said.

We're told English is a complicated language to learn.  Tough on immigrants and apparently tough on natives as well.  There is a beauty to it, and without language in our tongue, important ideas can be left in the mist.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment