Friday, August 12, 2011

Reflections for 8/12/11

"I had music on the radio, but I didn't need it.  The day made its own music."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 210)

I will readily admit that I often have music playing in my car.  It usually is not the radio. I can't stand commercials and also the AOR stations in Philly seem to be fixated on only a few bands. My son and I joke that every time we got in the car either Pink Floyd or Pearl Jam was playing.  For the record I like both of those bands, but enough already.

I usually just have my IPod on shuffle and away we go.  It takes a while to get through 786 songs.  I like my music because it keeps me awake. Sometimes I'll sing along but not often.  I sometimes wonder why a priest is listening to hard rock and heavy metal, with some of the focus of the lyrics seeming to contradict some important beliefs that I hold.  It is also true that I don't pay that much attention to the lyrics.  That might be why I thought the album rating system that Al Gore's wife came up with was a dumb idea, unless you were a marketing exec.

I know that there are times that I love to just sit outside and let the sounds of the world be my music, but not when I'm in my car.  Driving with the windows down just doesn't do it for me. 

And when I can hear a song that just gets my head bopping along and energizes me, I'm good to go. 

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment