Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reflections for 8/17/11

"When the kingdom really comes, it's as if the thing you  lost and thought you'd never find again is you."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 217)

Self-discovery is a life long journey I find.  Who is the real me, is a question that constantly puzzles and drives me.  I've taken every personality test out there. I'm an ENFP according to Myers-Briggs test.  "Warmly enthusiastic, planners of change: imaginative,individualistic, pursue inspiration with impulsive energy; seek to understand and inspire others."

I can see myself in that, but of course there's also the very shy Ed, the one who deals in the here and now, and constantly keeps looking for boundaries.

I know none of that makes me much different than most.  I generally feel comfortable in my own skin, but occasionally wonder if the real Ed would please stand up. 

There's that verse in the hymn Amazing Grace, "I once was lost, but now am found."  I haven't fully lost myself, but there are times that I get off track and wonder where I am.

Which brings me back to the quote from Buechner, I suppose the kingdom is coming within as I continue this life long journey. It doesn't get fully accomplished but is always in view.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment