Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reflections for 8/4/11

"Very young children and very old children also seem to be in touch with something that the rest of the pack has lost track of."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.203)

While I tend to subscribe more to the biblical phrase that today's problems are enough for today," I will admit that I can space off into remembering my past and dreaming about my future from time to time.

Of course I know what my childhood looked like. And while I could sit and bemoan the not so pleasant parts and see them as some root cause of what I still don't get right, I do know that there are parts that were wonderful and still feed my soul now.  My musical tastes have not matured, expanded perhaps but I still love rock and roll, the louder and faster the better.  I still love baseball, even if I still can't play it any better than I could when I was eight.  I still love walking in the woods, and still have a vivid imagination and love to make lists. Most of which will never be checked off.

And those times that I contemplate post retirement life, I hope that I will be able to sit back, relax and just enjoy.  Do things as long as my body will let me and then gracefully let go, when it won't. 

I get to see young children and old children regularly in my line of work. And often they are some of the funnest people to spend time with. I hope when become an old child, that I might still be seen as fun to be around.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment