Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reflections for 8/6/11

'Even with us something like that happens once in a while. The face of a man walking his child in the park, of a woman picking peas in the garden, of sometimes even the unlikeliest person listening to a concert, say, or standing in the sand watching the waves roll in, or just having a beer at a Saturday baseball game in July. Every once and so often, something so touching, so incandescent, so alive transfigures the human face that it's almost beyond bearing."(F. Buechener "Listening to Your Life"p. 204)

Every time I hear or see something heinous occur between or by human beings, I feel like screaming what's wrong with the world.  Yet there are those moments where I see people doing something so profoundly beautiful or compassionate that I get hopeful real fast. I'm reminded that the human condition is always ready to act in profoundly positive ways.

Of course there are moments that aren't monumental but also remind me of why I love being alive in this time and this place.  There are still scenes of everyday normal life, that I go Yes!  I see this happen in people that I am close to and from time to time in people that I probably will never see again.

While those random acts of beauty do not completely erase the uglier side of life, they do serve to remind me where to place my hope.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment