Thursday, August 11, 2011

Reflections for 8/11/11

"Like the bear in Thurber's fable, sometimes the pious lean so far over backward that they fall flat on their face."(F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 210)

Flexibility verses rigidity.  If one is rigid and starts to lean they just fall.  When one is flexible a lean back doesn't cause a fall as much as it does gain a new perspective.

I wonder if sometimes I can get rigid. I like to consider myself flexible, open to other ideas.  Yet I'm sure there are times that I've dug my heals in on something or tried to remain immovable only to have the whole endeavor crash.

That is not to say that occasionally having a spine is a bad thing. There are times that we need to hold fast to what we believe to be true, or important.  And it is also a sign of wisdom and grace when we know how to let go.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment