Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reflections for 8/28/11

"And deep in my heart I do believe  we shall overcome some day, as he will, by God's grace, by helping the seed of the kingdom grow in ourselves and in each other until finally in all of us it becomes a tree where the birds of the air can come and make their nest in our branches. That is all that matters really."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 229)

I got up this morning and headed over to the church. Unlike many of my colleagues I did not cancel services because of Irene. Maybe I'm foolish, the warnings were fairly dyer. But I've never succumbed to weather reports.  I also believe that if the roads weren't clear, nobodies zeal for the Lord is that great that they would venture out if it weren't safe to do so.

Granted not many made it.  As a matter of fact you could add all three services together and you wouldn't have the normal crowd for our 8 am service.  But I know that many overcame some detours to get there. Many overcame the obstacle to letting the predictions dictate their actions.  And their crazy priest wasn't giving them a reason to skip.  Though maybe he should have.

There are of course in life many obstacles that we need to overcome. Some or truly huge and not of our own making. Others are mountains we've made out of mole hills.  Seeing only what might be a problem and not stopping to think and pray about what solutions might be available to us.

Doing "kingdom work" is never easy. And in the cultural context of the Northeast where there exists a certain apathy towards faith, it is no small obstacle.  But for those of us who keep our focus on these matters and continue to seek, knock and keep moving, amazing things do occur.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment