Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reflections for 8/23/11

Apparently there was an earthquake on the East Coast today.  I missed it because I'm here at a conference in Minnesota.  While I didn't experience the forces of nature rocking my world.  I too felt a trembling today.

I was invited to give a presentation to this conference.  As someone who regularly has to get up in front of people and speak, you would think that I might have this shaking under control.  What I'm beginning to understand is it is not the public speaking that shakes me up, but what I may have to say that gets me trembling.

When I'm nervous I can feel that shaking in my legs.  I can hear a quivering in my voice.  I don't know if others notice it or not, but I'm very aware of it.

The funny thing was that I realized that it was because I was sharing my "faith story" in the context of something else and that it is still a daunting task for me.  Because my story isn't sexy, I always fear that in comparison to others my story sucks, and then those feelings of inadequacy start to take over.

Yet after today I realized how powerful that story is, even if I don't find it to be "news worthy."

How much in our experience of life do we think is "vanilla" and yet is essential to who we are, that the telling of the story, when we can muster the courage to tell it, is quite profound.

Earth moving, perhaps not.  But important in understanding who I am, essential.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment