Sunday, August 7, 2011

Reflections for 8/7/11

"It is no wonder that the books and newspapers we read , the movies and TV we watch, are obsessed with the dark and demonic, are full of death and violence. It is as if the reason we wallow in them is that they help us keep our minds off the real death, the real violence."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 205)

Let me start by saying that I realize that I watch entirely too much TV.  And most of it for the record isn't PBS.  TV has always been a mind number. Whatever the genre it is pure escapism.  The Soaps have always been this and of course now we've introduced into our lexicon reality TV.

I can look at these train wrecks on TV and wonder why am I so fascinated by it.  Of course I could wonder why pro-wrestling had a similar hold on me too.  My hunch is because I haven't figured out other ways to empty myself and shut off my mind.

I know I could read more, yet I don't. I could take long walks, but I don't.  I do understand that I have to deal with a lot of death, generally not graphic, but still trying.  I have to try and help people sift through some fairly dysfunctional stuff.  And at the moment I choose to clear the deck so to speak with things that aren't actually life giving.

I know its not healthy, and I'm trying to cut back.  I also know that there are other mind emptying exercises that would be far more cleansing.  Perhaps they may be worth a try.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment