Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reflections for 3/10/11

"An easy thing, it is to love a babe. A Babe asks nothing, never chides. A babe is fair to see. A babe is hope for better things to come. All this and more. But babes grow into men at last. That's where it runs a bitter brew." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 65)

When I first read this quote, I laughed and said to myself, only a monk could say this.  The quote is from Buechner's character Godric.  This guy clearly has a romanticized view of babies and kids. Or perhaps he feels like some I love children, other people's children.

While I certainly love my sons and have loved them at every stretch of their lives, to say it was easy is nonsense.  Babe's do in fact ask for things, not in audible words, but usually by crying for food, to be held, to be changed. They know how to get your attention and then you have to figure out what it is they actually want or need.  They may not chide but if you're really tired and they get going it will feel that way.  I will agree that babe's are fair to see, there is always something beautiful about them even if they won't be modeling for mommy magazine ads.  They certainly give us a hope for the future because they remind us that life goes on. Maybe that's why I love baptisms best of all the sacramental moments in the church.

Getting back to my own kids for a moment, now teenagers, I still love them, and it still isn't easy.  There are times that I burst with pride in the way they conduct themselves through life.  There are also times when I shake my head in disbelief about the choices they make.  And sometimes I don't get what it is they want.

And I find it true about adults as well.  I try to love everyone, but in most cases it is not easy.  I often have to read between the lines to figure out what people really want. Though occasionally someone states it clearly.  And boy can they chide.

And maybe it is that reality that most of us still have child like qualities that make us lovable and frustrating simultaneously. Or maybe it is just what being human is really all about.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment