Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reflections for 3/2/11

"But when melody wells up in thrushes' throats, and bees buzz honeysong, and rock and river clap like hands in summer sun, then misery's drowned in minstrelsy, and Godric's glad in spite of all."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp.60-61)

I'm thankful that I still have good hearing.  In spite of years of listening to loud music through earphones and one too many concerts, I haven't lost that sense yet.  My world like others is noisy.  The phone rings, the family members scream, a train rolls through town.  Yet right now the only thing I hear is the slight hum of the computer and my fingers tapping away at the keyboard.  Silence, not quite, but very still for sure. Perhaps more than a church office should have.

As a person who loves the outdoors I also enjoy those sounds as well. Birds, wind blowing through trees, a babbling brook, the ocean and the sound of the gulls cry.  And soon I'll hear the crack of the bat on ball signaling the return of baseball.

All those sounds remind me of what is right in the world and allow me to deal with the other noise.

What sounds bring you peace of mind?  What sounds disturb your peace? 

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment