Friday, March 18, 2011

Reflections for 3/18/11

"'Lofty and fair beyond telling was the angels' music,' he said. 'They heard me cry and they answered me. They weren't singing to me of the mercy of God, Finn. their singing was itself the mercy of god. Do yo think I could ever forget it even if I tried." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 72)

Have you ever experienced mercy? Deserved or undeserved?  A time when you knew that you had messed up so badly and yet the person who had every right to punish you in some manner, chose not to.  And instead acted in a way towards you that you were just left totally amazed. If you have had that experience I am sure it was unforgettable. 

In religious circles we often talk of God's mercy. Unfortunately we are also just as capable of not showing it to others.  We come close to saying God may be merciful, but we aren't.

While I am thankful that I believe in a "most merciful God,"  I am just as thankful when that mercy is shown by my fellow human beings. Not only towards me, but towards others as well.

God's mercy is undeniable.  Those who believe need to do likewise.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment