Friday, March 4, 2011

Reflections for 3/4/11

"Of their own, my hands have nothing more than any man's and less now at this tottering, lamewit age of mine when most of what I ever had is more than mostly spent."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 62)

What in your past do you remember being good at. At one time I was a fine musician. I was never disciplined enough in practicing to be a great musician, but I could play the bass line with my tuba well enough.  Now I'm not sure I could make music on a tuba anymore.

I used to be a wrestler. Okay I won't claim that I was even a good wrestler.  But I also know that if I went out on the mat today I would probably hurt myself.

I'm sure there are other things in my past that I used to be good at, and no longer do or in some cases can't do. Does that mean that I no longer have anything to offer the world? Probably not.  I'm sure there are things that I am good at now that I wasn't very good at in the past.  Problem is I'm not that good at self analysis.

I don't see myself as any more special than the next person, though I could do better in not seeing myself as less than. I'm not the best priest, father, husband, or coach ever, but I'm not the worst either.  In some ways I just am doing the best I can with what God has blessed me with.  Only those whom I've known on this journey will be able to judge how well I"m doing or have done.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment