Thursday, March 3, 2011

Reflections for 3/3/11

"The tale they tell is of a leper cleansed. I do not know nor seek to know, for pride lies one way, rue the other. Butr from that time the word went forth there was healing in my hands. Something was in  my hands at least and rests there yet though they're all knotted nlow and stiff like claws. Folk come miles to have me touch them. Could I but touch the churlisness within myself or kiss old Godric clean!" (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp.61-62)

I'm never certain what my charisms are, but I'm fairly certain what they aren't and miraculous healings are definitely not on the list.  I'm not 100% cynical on faith healers, though I have some serious doubts about their authenticity.  I wouldn't want to claim what is really possible.  I certainly have known people who have been cured and the doctors have no idea why or how.

I do know as a priest that about the best I have to offer is an assurance of God's presence with someone, mainly because I believe that to be true.  I hope that out there I have somehow opened a door to the heart which allowed space for God to come in.

I also understand fully what Buechner says through Godric. That often we clergy are better at helping others than we are in helping ourselves or even acknowledging that we need help.

I suppose that is true of any profession.  You may know what you are good at. And you may do it very well. But when you need it done for yourself, you feel completely helpless.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment