Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reflections for 3/29/11

"This might easily have been the end of something for me-my faith exposed as superstition which in part I suppose it is, my most extravagant hoped exposed as childish, which in part I suppose it is-but it was not the end. Because something other than what I expected did happen."(F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 81)

Have you ever had a premonition that something was going to happen. Just seemed like the atmosphere was charged in a way that your inner voice said keep your eyes and ears open, something really unexpected is about to occur.

Perhaps it has even been clear what you thought was going to happen.  After a while however the expected didn't happen.  And you're left wondering what made me so sure of this. Why did I have that level of heightened expectation?  Only to discover later that something did occur, just not what you thought.

My faith is one that has a lot of hope filled expectation. There are times that I'm sure I know what's going to happen, and sometimes it does, but just as often not.  Yet I never lose hope of being surprised in a positive way each day.  I suppose the disappointments have the potential to prove my faith in vain, yet somehow it never works out that way for me. Go figure.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment