Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reflections for 3/27/11

"In the Episcopal order of worship, the priest sometimes introduces the Lord's Prayer with the words 'Now, as our Savior Christ hath taught us, we are bold to say...' The word bold is worth thinking about. We do well not to pray the prayer lightly. It takes guts to pray it at all. We can pray it in the unthinking and perfunctory way we usually do only by disregarding what we are saying." (F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 78)

The Lord's Prayer, the Our Father, whatever you may call it is one of those prayers that most Christians can say in their sleep.  Yeah we all have little nuances, the Roman Catholics seem to drop off the last two verses. Presbyterians have debts, instead of trespasses. Episcopalians also have sins in addition to trespasses.

I know that it is prayer that can be said without words in front because I've led enough funerals and when I introduce saying the prayer, most people join in.

I'll admit I've never thought myself bold while saying it.  It is also true as Buechner points out that I probably haven't given it much thought as to what I'm saying, it is just a part of my Christian DNA.

I do like the boldness of addressing God in a personal way.  I'm not sure how ready I am for the kingdom of God to take over, though I'm enjoying its in breaking.  I try to allow God's will rather than mine to be what guides and directs me, with some success.  I try to be content with having my basic needs met, but there are times that I long for more.  I am grateful for the forgiveness I receive, and try to do likewise.

There are moments of boldness in my prayer life, and in my life in general. Unfortunately there is almost if not more timidity.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment