Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reflections for 3/1/11

"This life of ours is like a street that passes many doors, nor think you all the doors I mean are wood. Every day's a door and every night....They are all doors, some God's and some the Fiend's. So choose with care which ones you take, my son, and one day-who can say-you'll reach the holy door itself."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 60)

Perhaps you remember the game show "Let's Make a Deal."  I gather there's a new version on now, but I remember the original with Monty Hall. I always liked the part where they could trade some prize for what was behind door number whatever.  Sometimes something really valuable was behind it, sometimes it literally was a goat.

I understand the idea of life being a series of doors. Often they are closed and we have to choose whether to open them. Sometimes we are well advised to knock first and see who says come in.  There is also that quote "when God closes a door he opens another."  There are times in life when it feels like a door has been closed behind us, or sometimes even where its been slammed shut in our face, or just locked to us.

I hope there are more doors down the road for me.  I hope many will be unlocked or opened for me. 
Hopefully you'll have the courage to choose the right door and walk on through.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment