Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reflections for 3/15/11

"There's no reason why everyone should be Christian in the same way and every reason to leave room for differences, but if all the competing factions of Christendom were to give as much of themselves to the high calling and holy hope that unites them as they do now to the relative inconsequentialities that divide them, the Church would look more like the Kingdom of god for a change and less like an ungodly mess."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp. 69-70)

A quick glance of the "Churches" section of the yellow pages reveals 41 different groups.  My church claims two of those groups, Episcopalian and Anglican.  In the USA we're Episcopalian, but globally connected to the Anglican church, though some would argue that.

I personally have always been an Episcopalian.  I have worshipped in other faith communities, but honestly not enough to really give a fair assessment of whether they could meet my spiritual needs.  I certainly have friends and colleagues who represent many of those 41 denominations. 

I agree with Buechner that there is some good with having different styles of worship, one cannot be all things to all people.  I have noticed that "brand loyalty" is no longer in vogue. People are free to worship wherever they want, and often it will have more to do with who the pastor is, or how the people interact.  Most folks today couldn't tell you much about the core doctrines of their denomination, and probably don't even care.

Buechner is also correct in that the Body of Christ spends more time criticizing each other rather than spending its energy on doing cooperatively the things Christ called them to do.  The times that we can get together we give a much greater witness to the faith that informs our actions.  When those for whom church isn't essential only hear the sniping no wonder they say "why bother."

There are certainly reasons that I choose to remain an Episcopalian.  And if asked I can say why I love my church.  What I try to avoid is building up my church by tearing down or attacking someone else's.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment