Friday, March 11, 2011

Reflections for 3/11/11

"It also feel to me to tend the lads who sang at mass lest, left alone, they'd tear Saint Giles to bits. They chirped and fought like sparrows in a trap. They'd steal up with their candles from behind and drop hot tallow on bald pates. At Pentecost they brought a cage of mice. They set them free....And yet it was like angels when they sang!"(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.66)

Most people are familiar with the phrase "he's no choir boy."  Usually meaning that the person is a trouble maker.  Of course the problem is that very few boys fit well into the stereotype of "choir boy."  I'm sure this is true for girls as well, but I have boys so I'll leave it to the parents of girls to decide if they can be just as mischevious.

I know that when it comes to really bad, even border line criminal behavior, my two teenagers aren't even close.  That is not to say that they don't have their moments. What I understand, perhaps even from my own personal experience is that most not so good behavior is usually an attempt to get attention. Most of us have tried this at some point in our lives.

The real question is why do we no try doing something positive when we want attention. Why is it usually acting out? And it isn't only teenagers that do this.  I have witnessed plenty of adults whose only way to get attention is to act in ways that make no sense at all.

And I'd even have to look in the mirror from time to time and ask, "exactly what were you hoping to gain from that action you just took?"  Deep inside I suppose is still stuck a little boy, that just wanted to be noticed.  In my more mature moments that little boy gets told it will be alright.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment