Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reflections for 3/8/11

"Elric had studied with the monks. He wrote and read. He knew the Gospels back and forth. He had the psalms by heart. An oak grew near his cave with one great branch he'd climb to like a squirrel and perch there till he'd sung them through. He sang in Latin, but, for me, he put them into speech I understood." (F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 64)

There is funk metal band called Living Color. There biggest hit song was entitled "Cult of Personality"  The song actually begins with an edited quote from Malcolm X. ". . . And during the few moments that we have left, . . . We want to talk right down to earth in a language that everybody here can easily understand."


Talking in a language that everyone understands. With each new generation comes some new form of communication. I sometimes listen to my teenagers talking to their friends on the phone and I have no clue what they are saying.  I may be better off in my ignorance perhaps. 

I also know that there are subjects that I don't totally get, and when they stay merely in the technical language of the field, I usually wind up thinking "I have no idea what you just said, but it sounded impressive."  It is even true in my own field.  There are times that fellow clergy talk in a way that I wonder how anyone connects to what they are saying.

I've been told that I'm able to communicate my points because I have a way of explaining things that make it understandable.  I of course just think that I'm talking in words that come naturally for me. I also know how much I appreciate down to earth conversations where no one is trying to impress someone with their extensive vocabulary.  And of course they may be making stuff up.

It is a wonderful gift to have someone who can explain something to you and you leave actually getting it.  It's even more impressive when the person knows just how to tell it to you in a way that only you can understand.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment