Saturday, March 19, 2011

Reflections for 3/19/11

"'Smirchy and holy is all one, my dear,' she said. 'I doubt Jarlath has taught you that. Monks think holiness is monkishness only. But somewheres you've learned the truth anyhow. You can squeeze into Heaven reeking of pig blood as well as clad in the whitest fair linen in the land." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.74)

I once hear of a priest who wouldn't take the reserve sacrament (consecrated communion wafers) in his car, because the music he was listening to would offend Jesus.  When I heard this I thought, surely a God who knows everything that goes on in the world has probably heard that music and knows that you're listening to it.  For the record I'm not the priest.

It seems sort of silly to lead a dualistic life of sacred and secular. Are there things that I do, not bad things mind you, that don't fit neatly into the stereotype of clergy, sure.  Are there tasks that I take on that have nothing to do with religion? Yes. 

But when I see that all that I do and all that I am are intertwined, I'm at a much better place. By not engaging in the false dualism, I'm not inclined to do anything that would be unbecoming to a clergyman.

I also try to give the same loving attention to my non-church activities as I do my church ones. Again because they are of equal value to me and who I am.

In your life, do you try to give the same loving attention to all aspects of your life? Or are there things that get 100% effort and devotion, and others where you are just going through the motions,

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment