Monday, March 28, 2011

Reflections for 3/28/11

"I cannot talk about God or sin or grace, for example, without at the same time talking about those parts of my own experience where these ideas became compelling and real."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 80)

Because I went to seminary I have read some writings of most of the famous theologians.  I can't say that I fully understood all that they were trying to convey. That's probably why I rarely quote them.  I will admit that the school of Process theology, once I got past its creator made some sense.  I also find Liberation theology speaks to me.

I suppose most of this is true because experience speaks to me.  I certainly understand that most theological questions are answered by looking at them through scripture, tradition and reason.  Yet I find that I cannot look at those three except through the lens of my own experience.

As I read the Bible, I find myself in those stories, and can relate to them and interact with them because I've had similar experiences. I seriously doubt that I could relate to God outside of my experiences of grace, forgiveness, sin etc.  I will always need to define those terms in words that I can understand and relay to others.

I don't want to dismiss the more academic pursuits of theology, I am sure that the Tillichs, the Barths, the Aquinas, Ireneaus and many others also had their own experiences of God in their lives. They just articulate them in ways that weren't always clear to me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment