Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reflections for 3/22/11

"It was like flirting or courting the way Brendan did it. he'd tease them along till they was hot for more and then skitter off saying he'd be back one day soon or another like him to tell them another tale or two if they'd mend their ways in the meantime." (F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 75)

One of the things I remember about my first concert was when the band first said "thank you, good night."  The crowd erupted and started clapping loudly, whistling, flicking their Bic's, as the band left the stage. This cacophony would keep going for about 5 minutes and then suddenly the band would be back for a few more songs.

In all the concerts I've been to since, it is pretty rare that the scene has not repeated itself.  The crowd always wants more.

I suppose many things in life are like that, we don't want the night to end.  Just one more story.  And it is especially true when the people we are with are that important to us, or really that good at their craft.

It is also hard when things have to end, and we must say goodbye.  Sometimes we know that we will see each other again.  Other times we know this will be the last time we ever see them again.  As a priest I know that those goodbyes are incredibly hard.  Just one more hug, one more smile, one more time to say "I love you."

As a person of faith, I hold onto the hope of a joyful reunion with those that I love.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment