Monday, March 7, 2011

Reflections for 3/6/11

"With a candle in my hand I climbed the hill on which they nailed thee to a tree." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 63)

I have never been to Israel.  I have heard from people who have went that it is an amazing experience.  While some of the sights may have become a little to touristy, I've heard there's a Miracle at Cana Wine Shop, I do believe that being in the place where Jesus is said to have been would be quite powerful.  Perhaps someday I will get to go.

I have been to some fairly moving places in this country.  I visited ground zero in November of 2001.  I have been to Gettysburg, the Little Big Horn, Niagra Falls, and many other places. Some sacred in a religious sense, some sacred in a non-church way.

When I go places that have historical import, I like to picture what went on there, to think of the people who were there.  To consider what led to that event.  In places that are of natural beauty, to just contemplate the awesome creativity of the God I believe in.

Where are  places of pilgrimage for you?  Where do you hope to visit in your lifetime, but to date  have only heard about?  Are there places where God is so truly present that you are just left to soak it all in. Just living in awe and wonder.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment