Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Reflections for 2/03/10

"Our parent's faith is not ours until we walk the journey ourselves. God has no grandchildren." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 70)

I grew up in a Christian household. More specifically I'm a "PK" (preacher's kid). I've been an Episcopalian all of my life. I can trace on my mother's side centuries of being Episcopalian/Anglican.

In some ways the notion of being converted makes no sense to me. I did not have a conversion experience. Just a faith that kept growing slowly but surely and hasn't stopped. But I do not rest on my laurels of my parent's faith. They certainly planted the seed and created fertile ground for my faith to be nurtured in, but there did come a time, when I started to walk the faith journey myself. That period was college.

Grinnell College, my alma mater, is not exactly known for it's embracing of faith. There was certainly a chaplain, and there were people of many different faiths there, but regular church goers or people who professed and lived out their faith I'd be hard pressed to name to many. Non-sectarian schools just don't go that route. However, in the town of Grinnell was a place that I could in fact continue my faith journey. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, right across the street from the campus. I was blessed by the presence of an excellent priest who truly reached out to the campus. And there I was in Iowa, where the name Zelley meant nothing, no baggage, no history, no being a PK. I could just be Ed, and start to work out what living the Christian life would mean to me.

Biblically we are told that we are joint heir with Christ. I believe my Jewish friends would tell me something close to being born a Jew. I certainly see the notion of a Catholic heritage in my Roman Catholic friends, even the ones that haven't darkened the door of a church in years. They just see themselves that way. However the real challenge is to decide to develop a faith that goes beyond being a family heirloom that no one ever touches or looks at. If faith starts off as a hand me down, it needs to be used in ways that make sense to us. I'm glad to still be part of the tradition that I grew up in, some people need a change of scenery and that's fine too. But ultimatley a mature faith is one where you see yourself as a child of God. If you've been away for awhile it may be worth looking at a place with some connection, but you may also want to look and see if there's something different that you can claim as your own.

Blessings,
Ed

1 comment:

  1. Really good!!! As you know I too was a PK. I feel I began my own journey when I was pregnant with Tim. I never left God, but for awhile I did not have a church family. After Tim was born, and later Patrick, we became active in our parishes in Georgia, Louisiana and now here in NJ. Being raised as part of a church family since birth stayed with me and continues to be a very important part of my life.

    ReplyDelete