Monday, February 8, 2010

Reflections for 2/8/10

"The word always points us to the future and calls us out of our own idol-making and insecurities to the security and future that God will create. Christianity, like Judaism is essentially a forward-looking religion because it destroys our idols, character armor and defense mechanisms, and leads us to trust in God's future. Faith is the security to be insecure." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 74)

As a history major I guess I've always had a fascination with the past. I'll even admit to occassionally waxing nostalgic for some mythical past time in life. When the wax of those daydreams melts I usually can see why those are times that are gone, and while containing some pleasant memories, also have a whole lot pains. Those pains are of course the very things that drive me out of the past and point towards a different future.

Each new chapter of life has involved some level of risk and entering out of some comfort zone and stepping out in faith, believing God would be with me. Whether that step was leaving New Jersey and going to college in Iowa, that took faith. By the end it was obvious that the right choice had been made, and yet another idol had been created, and needed to be dashed.

I suppose that's how it's always been for me, just when I start to get to comfortable, a different call to venture forth into the unknown comes. And those ways of being me that had made that time and place work need to be shed, in order for the essential Ed could breath and take on what was needed for the next stage in the journey into the future.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment