Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reflections for 2/23/10

"To our world God says: Do not put your trust in gods that cannot save-your looks, intelligence, money, your home. Do not put your trust in your children, wife, husband, your high position. They cannot save you. what is your money going to do for you? God is security, the rock of our salvation. No one has trusted in God and ever been put to shame." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 109)

Trust is something that is essential for any relationship to work. If I don't trust my spouse, I will constantly be looking for them mess up, ultimately leading to my own self doubt as to what am I doing or not doing that makes them act that way. That of course is a false question because they are responsible for their own actions, but I'm responsible for my reaction. It is important to trust our children, if we don't, they will never learn how to make choices and how live independently of us. It is important to trust your employment. If you don't you'll always be looking over your shoulder wondering if the axe is going to fall or which of your colleagues is out to usurp you.

And of course all those material goods are also needed but not really trustworthy. The economics of the last several years has certainly shown that.

When I put my trust in God, those other parts of me, my relationships and material things are given their proper place. God knows they are important and in some cases needed. And I find I usually have what I need to be whole.

When I'm not trusting in God, when I put my trust in systems that's when things start to unravel. And much like the love God, love neighbor love self trilogy, there also so flows this parallel stream, trust God, trust neighbor, trust self.

To trust does not guarantee never being let down or disappointed. Trust allows that those things are not the final word.

Blessings,
Ed

1 comment:

  1. Trust has always been a difficult issue for me. Not with God,family and some friends, but it is something I know I must constantly pray about.

    ReplyDelete