Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reflections for 2/21/10

"Sometimes we are able to believe that God loves us unconditionally, absolutely and forever. That's grace! And sometimes because we get down on ourselves, and carry guilt and fear and burdens, we are not able to believe that God loves us. Biblically speaking that's the greatest sin: not to believe the good news, not to accept the unconditional love of God. When we no longer believe God loves us, we can no longer love ourselves. We have to allow God to continually fill us. Then we find in our own lives the power to give love away." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 107)

We all have hear the scriptural injunction to "love God, neighbor and self." I've always seen these as a circular rather than a linear relationship. Each one flows to and from the other. I certainly was raised in a church and a family where the unconditional love of God was preached constantly.

It was a very rude awakening for me when I left that system and encountered other faithful people who seemed to believe in the conditional love of God. Unless everything that was wrong with you changed, or more likely that they didn't approve of God and they would not love you. I feel blessed that I didn't need their love to be complete, nor did I have to believe what they were saying about God.

Does God still love me "warts and all." Yes. Does God want me to deal with the warts, yes indeed. And it is that belief in the unconditional love that invites me and gives me the courage to deal with those warts. That says instead of beating yourself up over those warts, let God fill you in such a way as to desire to be wart free.

And when I've come to a healthier way of being and dealing with my warts. A way that shows that I've accepted God's love for me, and am therefore able to love myself in a non-self centered way. I will find it much easier to love other people warts and all, and allow them to work through their warts without me pointing them out, but allowing them and God to work together.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment