Monday, February 15, 2010

Reflections for 2/15/10

"We've reached the limits of liberalism. Liberalism is basically a philosophy that proclaims the rights and the freedoms and the growth and the development of the individual. My rights, my career, my wholeness, my options...But we've reached the limits of it. It finally moves to a place where all that we have are individuals seeking their own growth, their own happiness, their own development. Most cultures since the beginning of time would not share this worldview. There is little possibility there for the common good, for opening myself to what's good for the whole parish, the whole diocese, the whole people. The common good is what's good for the world, not just what's good for America or good for Christianity. One wonders if our people have forgotten how to think that way." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.100)

As I read this quote, I was struck first by the critique of liberalism. Fr. Rohr is a liberal, heck I'm a liberal. Yet I can see what he is saying. The problem is that sort of the "free to be you and me" mentality that I was fed growing up with that Marlo Thomas record, didn't really equip anyone to deal with consequences or relating to anyone else. It ultimately lead to a lot of narcissism and navel gazing. And even with the 24 hour news channels, we've numbed ourselves to what's going on around us, because our own 3x3 box is hard enough.

That notion of the common good would seem to me to be what our country was founded on. There may even be instances where something may not appear to be of any benefit to me, but may be better for the whole. Of course if I see myself as part of the whole and less of this individual left to his own devices, then I may discover some actual value for me as well. But as long as I can only see what's in it for me, I'll be stuck in a very lonely place.

However, I do see signs of hope. There are occassions of reaching out to others that I witness. What would it look like if all of our systems actually looked towards the common good, rather than themselves or their constituents.


Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment