Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Reflections for 2/9/10

"Our age has come to expect satisfaction. We have grown up in an absolutely unique period when having and possessing and accomplishing have been real options. We have the illusion of fulfillment and an even more dangerous illusion that we have a right to expect fulfillment-and fulfillment now-as long as we are clever enough, quick enough, and pray or work hard enough for our goals." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 75)

Apparently we've gotten past Mick Jagger's notion that you can't get satisfaction. Okay so that's not what he's talking about. We do live in an instant gratification world. Though I would say recently we've found out that such a world has a shadow side to it. For many people especially folks my generation and the one before and after got these little plastic things in our wallets that told us we could have those things we wanted without having to save for them. Debt was not a four letter word, as it was for my grandfather. And now we're paying for it.

We also watch folks push and push hard to achieve and we see folks succeed and then start to emulate them immediately because certainly if it worked for them, it must be a universal truth. And while some effort is certainly needed to reach one's goals, we are never guaranteed success. Being clever will only take you so far. Being fast to respond doesn't mean that someone else might not have been quicker. Praying for success often comes before praying for a clear path.

I certainly don't want to fail. I also deep down inside have personal goals. The faith question is: are my goals in line with God's promises to me? If they aren't then there won't be much satisfaction even if I succeed. Fulfillment will be like eating a twinkie instead of a real meal.

And I've even found that inspite of my "social location" or "place of priviledge" these also don't guarantee me anything, nor should they. What I need to learn is to be patient in waiting for the fulfillment of what is promised.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment